Lakehead Thunderwolves Mens Hockey
Facebook YouTube Twitter Instagram

9/23/2005: MANITOBA - 1 @ LAKEHEAD - 4


Mike Aylward
Friday, September 23, 2005

The Lakehead Thunderwolves opened their 2005-06 season Friday night with a rugged 4-1 win over the visiting Manitoba Bisons before a noisy crowd of 3026 at the Fort William Gardens in Thunder Bay.  Play was very fast considering it was both teams’ first game of the season and the match even featured a major melee in the third period.  Lakehead was led by defenseman Steve Rawski with a goal and an assist.  The Wolves other goals came from Tobias Whelan, Murray Magill, and Jeff Richards.  Manitoba’s goal came from Kevin Saurette.  Lakehead outshot Manitoba 40-33 on the night.    

The early going featured a lot of tight checking until play was stopped at 1:49 when referee John Stevenson caught a stick in the face and was injured and had to leave the game.  So, the two linesmen went to the two-man system meaning both could call penalties.  Lakehead jumped out in front at 2:25 when Tobias Whelan fired in a loose puck from the slot beating Manitoba goalie Krister Toews.  Assists went to Dan Speer and Shandor Alphonso.  The Bisons picked up play and fired a few shots that were turned aside by Lakehead netminder Grant McCune.  Fortunately referee Stevenson came back on the ice at the 8:00 mark after some emergency stitches by Lakehead trainer Ron Rost.  The Wolves went on the powerplay at the 9:00 mark and Manitoba’s Toews made three sharp saves. 

Toews followed by a great kick save off Lakehead’s Brad Priestlay.  Manitoba went on the man advantage at 11:27 but couldn’t beat McCune.  Lakehead’s Priestlay then had a partial breakaway that was redirected wide by Toews.  The Bisons put on the pressure with five minutes left and then had another powerplay but it was Lakehead’s Whelan who had a breakaway but blasted the puck wide.  Lakehead’s Murray Magill was set up beautifully in front of the net by Priestlay; Magill gave Toews a head fake, and scored five hole at 19:28 to make it 2-0 Lakehead.  The other assist went to Mark Robinson.  Shots were 15-9 Lakehead in the first period.    

The Bisons came out quick to open the second and had some early pressure.  The Wolves went on the powerplay five minutes in but couldn’t develop any offense.  Manitoba then had their own man advantage and Lakehead’s McCune had to make two quick saves.  The Bisons buzzed the Wolves but McCune held firm and then Lakehead broke out on a 3-on-1 shorthanded rush and Steve Rawski converted a Peter Cava cross ice pass at 9:08.  The other assist went to Andrew Brown.  Lakehead’s Jeff Richards did one of his patented rushes and then blasted the puck wide but unfortunately drew a minor putting Lakehead two men down. 

Manitoba’s Kevin Saurette quickly put the Bisons on the board at 9:27; assisted by Eric Froystad and Warren McCutcheon.  The Bisons kept up the attack but then drew a penalty at 12:29.  Play went back and forth until the 15:00 mark when Manitoba drew another minor.  However, the Bisons Lee Stubbs broke in alone on Lakehead’s McCune and forced the Wolves’ netminder to come up with two great stops.  Lakehead put on a mini-blitz in the final two minutes but Manitoba’s Toews made a succession of fine saves.  Manitoba outshot Lakehead 15-10 in the second. 

Play was feisty in the early going and Lakehead’s Drew Kivell drew a double minor giving Manitoba a two-minute advantage.  The Bisons couldn’t capitalize and it was Lakehead scoring next at 6:32 when Jeff Richards flew down the right side and fired a low wrist shot that fooled Toews.  Assists went to Steve Rawski and Andrew Brown.  At the 8:53 mark, all hell broke loose in front of the Manitoba bench during a line change when some Manitoba players dragged Lakehead’s Drew Kivell into their bench area and some Lakehad players skated to his aid.  

When the smoke had cleared from the multiple skirmishes; Kivell, Dan Speer, and Erik Lodge were ejected for Lakehead while Marco Pellizzari, Kip Workman, and Rhett Nevill were sent to the Manitoba showers.  Play resumed wi

1. 02:25 Lakehead, Tobias Whelan (Dan Speer, Shandor Alphonso) 2. 19:28 Lakehead, Murray Magill (Mark Robinson, Brad Priestlay)
Penalties: 06:50 Manitoba, Nevill (Hold Stick)08:32 Manitoba, McCutcheon (Slash)11:27 Lakehead, Tobias Whelan (Interference)16:08 Lakehead, Jason Lange (Slash)
3. 09:08 Lakehead, Steve Rawski (Peter Cava, Andrew Brown) SH 4. 09:27 Manitoba, Saurette (McCutcheon , Froystad ) PP
Penalties: 05:52 Manitoba, Cara (Charge)07:32 Lakehead, Tobias Whelan (Interference)09:21 Lakehead, Drew Kivell (Boarding)10:01 Lakehead, Jeff Richards (Rough)12:29 Manitoba, MacDonald (Interference)15:06 Manitoba, Nichols (Interference)
5. 06:23 Lakehead, Jeff Richards (Steve Rawski, Andrew Brown)
Penalties: 02:21 Manitoba, Starr (Rough)02:21 Lakehead, Drew Kivell (Interference/Rough)08:53 Lakehead, Erik Lodge (Fight+Game)08:53 Lakehead, Drew Kivell (Fight+Game)08:53 Lakehead, Dan Speer (Fight+Game)08:53 Lakehead, Tobias Whelan (10 Min Misconduct)08:53 Lakehead, Daniel Rogers (RAW)08:53 Manitoba, Pellizzas (Fight+Game)08:53 Manitoba, Nevill (Fight+Game)08:53 Manitoba, Workman (Fight+Game)08:53 Manitoba, Velemirovich (10 Min-Misconduct)15:02 Manitoba, Frew (Interference+Game)15:02 Lakehead, Daniel Rogers (Charge)
Lakehead: Grant McCune, 32 saves made, 1 goals against.Manitoba: Krister Toews, 36 saves made, 4 goals against.Referees: Kevin Kuluski (referee), Kevin Kuluski, Kevin Kuluski,