Lakehead Thunderwolves Mens Hockey
Facebook YouTube Twitter Instagram

11/23/2007: LAKEHEAD - 3 @ GUELPH - 2


Mike Aylward
Friday, November 23, 2007

The No. 6 Lakehead Thunderwolves men’s hockey team battled to a 3-2 win over the Guelph Gryphons Friday night in Guelph, Ontario.  Lakehead now has an 11-2 OUA mark (12-5 overall); while Guelph is 6-8-1 in OUA action.

Lakehead's goals came from Jordan C. Smith, Dan Speer, and Andrew Brown.  David Volpe and Jesse Jenish replied for the Gryphons.  Lakehead outshot Guelph 27-23. 

Lakehead was on the powerplay in the first period but it was Guelph who struck first at when David Volpe notched an unassisted shorthanded marker at 7:07.  The Wolves, still on the powerplay, quickly replied at 7:31 when Jordan C. Smith’s point blast beat Guelph netminder Adam Arklie.  Lakehead kept taking penalties and Guelph made them pay at 10:52 when Jesse Jenish beat Lakehead’s Chris Whitley; assisted by Alex Magera and Derek Douglas.  Lakehead took five minor penalties to Guelph’s one and the Gryphons outshot the Wolves 14-6 as a result of that big difference in powerplay opportunities. 

The Wolves had an early 4-on-3 man advantage and made it count when Dan Speer beat Guelph’s Adam Arklie at 5:04; just when the Guelph penalized player was stepping on the ice.  Assists went to Mark Soares and Pierre-Marc Guillbault.  Lakehead captain Andrew Brown notched his 9th tally of the OUA season at 10:53 when his wrist shot from the slot fooled Guelph netminder Arklie.  The Wolves went on the powerplay with around six minutes left in the second and peppered Guelph’s Arklie; who made a series of good saves to deny Lakehead.  Guelph took another minor with 48 seconds left in the period and the Wolves pressured but couldn’t beat Arklie to end the period up by one goal.  The Wolves would start the third period with a powerplay for the first 1:12.  Guelph took four minors to Lakehead’s one. 

The wolves started the third on the powerplay but couldn’t get anything going.  Guelph took the play for a short while and Lakehead took a minor penalty.  However the Wolves killed it off.  Lakehead then took another minor but it was the Wolves Brown who almost notched a shorthanded tally but was denied by a big save by Guelph’s Arklie.  Guelph put on late pressure but Lakehead netminder Chris Whitley stood tall.  The Gryphons took a minor with 1:03 left in the third; but the Gryphons still had one shot with a second left but couldn’t get the equalizer.     

The two teams match up again Saturday and can be heard live in Thunder Bay on CKPR FM 91.5 in Thunder Bay and online at with Saturday’s game starting at 2:00 pm EST.  

Lakehead 3 at Guelph 2 – Final  Nov 23, 2007 
1st Period
- 1. Guelph, D. Volpe (3)   7:07 SH
2. Lakehead, J. Smith (3) (P. Guilbault) 7:31 PP
3. Guelph, K. Belan (2) (A. Magera, D. Douglas) 10:52 PP
Penalties - J. Smith Lak (interference) 4:49, M. Willoughby Guel (hooking) 6:37, K. Hogg Lak (hooking) 9:59, M. Maunu Lak (cross checking) 10:40, D. Speer Lak (interference) 13:45, B. McPherson Lak (hooking) 16:42

2nd Period
- 4. Lakehead, D. Speer (7) (M. Soares, P. Guilbault) 5:04 
5. Lakehead, A. Brown (9) (A. Zulyniak, T. Whelan) 11:53 
Penalties - G. MacArthur Guel (tripping) 2:59, A. Brown Lak (hooking) 3:22, J. Oginski Guel (cross checking) 3:58, T. Laplante Guel (hooking) 15:09, D. Volpe Guel (tripping) 19:12

3rd Period
- No Scoring
Penalties - K. Sheridan Guel (interference) 1:44, T. Whelan Lak (hooking) 8:09, D. Welsh Lak (high sticking) 12:05, D. Douglas Guel (slashing) 18:57